Lane Brothers Commercial Photographers photographic collection, 1920-1976
Photographs taken by the Lane Brothers Commercial Photographers that depict life in Atlanta from the 1920s to 1957.
More About This Collection
Contributor to Resource
Lane, Jack Hubert, 1889-1970
Lane, Dan, 1913-1975
Lane, William C.
Lane, William C., 1912-1970
Date of Original
Georgia--Politics and government--1865-1950--Photographs
The online collection consists of over 9,825 scanned from the photographic negatives and prints of the Lane Brothers Commercial Photographers (Atlanta, Ga.) and its predecessor the Lane Brothers Photo News Service from ca. 1920-1957. Early materials (1920s-1939) include glass plate negatives and photographs taken by Jack Lane and his brother W. C. Lane as freelance photographers for the Atlanta News, other newspapers, and wire services. The bulk of the collection consists of images of the Atlanta, Georgia area documenting its economic growth, social changes, and political activities over the years. The collection contains images of AT&T, Atlanta Gas Light Company, Coca-Cola, Delta Air Lines, Eastern Air Lines, Rich's, Shriners Yaarab Temple, and the Southeastern Fair while other images illustrate the development of Atlanta's transportation system. During World War II, the studio produced photographic documentation of the Office of Civilian Defense and the United Service Organization. The collection depicts Atlanta's social and political changes with images of preparation for World War II, African Americans registering to vote, Ku Klux Klan rallies at Stone Mountain, political campaigns, sports events, labor union activities, motion picture premiers (including Gone with the Wind), disasters, and individual portraits. Notable public figures include Ivan Allen, Ellis Arnall, William B. Hartsfield, Roy LeCraw, Margaret Mitchell, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Carl Sanders, Eugene Talmadge, and Robert W. Woodruff., In 1939 Jack Hubert Lane and his brother W.C. Lane formed the Lane Brothers Photo News Service, a photographic studio in Atlanta, Georgia. During the late 1940's Dan and W.C. Lane (sons of the founders) joined the studio and changed the name to Lane Brothers Commercial Photographers in 1953. The studio was closed in 1975.
Georgia State University. Special Collections