Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Indianapolis recorder
- Two Head Coaches -Ray Crowe and Bill Garrett
- Date of Original:
African American basketball coaches--Indiana--Indianapolis
Crispus Attucks High School (Indianapolis, Ind.)
- United States, Indiana, Marion County, Indianapolis, 39.76838, -86.15804
- black-and-white photographs
- During the late 1950s, Crispus Attucks High School in Indianapolis won three boys state basketball championships. Two men originally from small Indiana towns, Ray Crowe (Franklin) in 1955 and 1956 and Bill Garrett (Shelbyville) in 1959 coached their teams to championships. Attucks won the city and state championships in 1955 and had an undefeated season the following year. Garrett received the IHSAA's Coach of the Year award in 1959, an honor denied Crowe during his splendid 7-year tourney run.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Original Collection:
- Indianapolis Recorder Collection, P 0303, Indiana Historical Society
- Contributing Institution:
- Indiana Historical Society