Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Indianapolis recorder
- Oscar Charleston Who Played with the Indianapolis ABCs was Inducted in The National Baseball Hall of Fame & Museum in 1976
- Date of Original:
African American baseball players--Indiana--Indianapolis
Negro National League
Indianapolis ABCs (Baseball team)
- United States, Indiana, Marion County, Indianapolis, 39.76838, -86.15804
- black-and-white photographs
- Shut-out of America's "national pastime," many black professional baseball players belonged to teams that joined the Negro National League after its founding in 1920. Coverage of the Indianapolis ABCs, a member of the league, first appears in local newspapers in 1902. The team blossomed after C. I. Taylor, who became co-owner and manager of the ABCs came to Indianapolis in 1914. He merged the team with the West Baden Sprudels, another black baseball team.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Original Collection:
- Indianapolis Recorder
- Contributing Institution:
- Indiana Historical Society