Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Indianapolis recorder
- George's Bar on Indiana Avenue
- Date of Original:
Bars (Drinking establishments)--Indiana--Indianapolis
- United States, Indiana, Marion County, Indianapolis, 39.76838, -86.15804
- black-and-white photographs
- Indiana Avenue was especially known for its legitimate nightlife--and its vice. People came from other communities and cities to patronize its clubs. After prohibition many big names including Cab Calloway, Count Basie, Sarah Vaughn, and Josephine Baker performed at Indiana Avenue clubs. Renown Indianapolis performers, David Baker, Jimmy Coe, the Hampton Family, Freddie Hubbard, J.J. Johnson, and Wes Montgomery also played the Avenue.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Original Collection:
- Indianapolis Recorder
- Contributing Institution:
- Indiana Historical Society