Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Indianapolis recorder
- Governor Matthew Welsh Signs Civil Rights Bill
- Date of Original:
- Welsh, Matthew E. (Matthew Empson), 1912-
- United States, Indiana, 40.00032, -86.25027
United States, Indiana, Marion County, Indianapolis, 39.76838, -86.15804
- black-and-white photographs
- Matthew Welsh campaigned with the pledge to set a moral tone for Indiana government. He called for fair employment laws and equal public accommodations. As governor, he signed a 1963 Civil Rights Bill (SB131) witnessed by sponsors Marshall Kizer, Robert Rock, Robert Brokenburr, and L. Keith Bulen.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Original Collection:
- Indianapolis Recorder
- Contributing Institution:
- Indiana Historical Society