Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Indianapolis recorder
- President Johnson Meets with Officials of the National Medical Association in the Cabinet Room of the White House
- Indianapolis recorder (Firm)
- Date of Original:
- Presidents--United States
United States--Race relations--Political aspects
National Medical Association (U.S.)
African Americans--Washington (D.C.)
White House (Washington, D.C.)
- Johnson, Lyndon B. (Lyndon Baines), 1908-1973
- United States, District of Columbia, Washington, 38.89511, -77.03637
United States, Indiana, Marion County, Indianapolis, 39.76838, -86.15804
- black-and-white photographs
- The group is gathered around an oval table in the White House. From left to right are the following doctors: W. C. Atkinson, Contesville, PA; A.M. Townsen Jr., St. Louis, MO; Charles S. Ireland, Washington D.C.; John W. Lawish, Washington, D.C.; Julius E. Hill, Los Angeles, CA; E.G. Mitchell, Norfolk, VA; Robert C. Stepto, Chicago, IL; John A. Kennedy Jr., Washington, D.C.; W. T. Armstrong, Rocky Mount, NC; John L. S. Holloman, Jr., New York, NY; Edith Irby Jones, Houston, TX; W. Montague Cobb, Washington, D.C.; Lionel F. Swan, Detroit, MI; E.T. Taylor, St. Louis, MO; William H. Grant, Nashville, TN; P.T. Robinson, Richmond, CA; King S. Jones, Michigan City, Indiana; John T. Givons, Norfolk, VA; Joseph L. Johnson, Washington, D.C.; Kenneth W. Clemen, Cleveland, OH.
On the back of the picture is written: Dr. Montague Cobb, president of the NMA expressed on behalf of the doctors their support for hospital care for the aged through social security and urged to end hospital bias in America.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Original Collection:
- Indianapolis Recorder Collection, P 0303, Indiana Historical Society
- Contributing Institution:
- Indiana Historical Society