Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Crispus Attucks High School Collection
- Indianapolis School Segregation Map, 1948
- Richardson, Henry J.
- Indianapolis, Ind. : Indiana Historical Society
- Date of Original:
Segregation in education--Indiana
Indianapolis (Ind.)--Race relations
Indianapolis Public Schools
Crispus Attucks High School (Indianapolis, Ind.)
- United States, Indiana, Marion County, Indianapolis, 39.76838, -86.15804
- maps (documents)
- This map was created by Indianapolis lawyer and leader Henry J. Richardson (1902-1983) to convince the Education Committee of the Indiana State Legislature that there was a need for school integration in Indianapolis. On the map, red tacks represented white schools, green tacks represented black schools, and yellow tacks represented integrated schools. Richardson was a lawyer and a leader for many years in the struggle for civil rights in Indiana. Richardson fought for civil rights in Indiana including desegregating schooling and housing.
Destination Indiana Crispus Attucks High School Journey
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Additional Rights Information:
- This image may be printed or downloaded by individuals, schools or libraries for study, research or classroom teaching without permission. For other uses contact: mailto:email@example.com
- 25 x 38 in.
- Original Collection:
- Henry J. (Henry Johnson) Richardson Papers, 1910-1992
Crispus Attucks High School Collection
- Contributing Institution:
- Indiana Historical Society