Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Columbia River Basin Ethnic History Project
- Discrimination, October 7, 1961
- Willner, Don S.
- Date of Original:
- African Americans--Washington (State)--Seattle
Oregon--Race relations--History--20th century
Seattle (Wash.)--Race relations--History--20th century
Judicial proceedings--Washington (State)--Seattle
Discrimination in housing--Washington (State)--Seattle
Discrimination in housing--Oregon
African Americans--Housing--Washington (State)--Seattle
Government lending--Washington (State)--Seattle
- O'Meara, John L.
Jones, Robert L
- United States, Oregon, 44.00013, -120.50139
United States, Washington, King County, 47.49084, -121.83583
United States, Washington, King County, Seattle, 47.60621, -122.33207
- News commentary by Don S. Willner discussing a judgement by the Washington State Supreme Court concerning a housing discrimination case in Seattle. Willner reports that a 1957 state law prohibiting discrimination in the sale of housing financed by a federal loan is declared unconstitutional by the high court. The case involves John L. O'Meara, a Caucasian homeowner, and Robert L. Jones, an African American homebuyer. Willner suggests in his commentary that the legal decision made by the Washington State Supreme Court sustains racial discrimination. Court opinions and statues prohibiting housing discrimination in Oregon are also discussed. Article originally printed in the Portland Reporter newspaper.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Rights Holder:
- Oregon Historical Society, Photographic Services 1200 SW Park Avenue, Portland, OR 97205; PHOTOORDERS@OHS.ORG; phone number 503-306-5250; FAX 503-492-6001.
- Additional Rights Information:
- Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
- Original Collection:
- Stella Maris House Collection
- Contributing Institution:
- Oregon Historical Society