Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Vietnam War Era Ephemera Collection
- Ethics of harassment : a UDM report [page 1 of 2]
- University District Movement
- Contributor to Resource:
- University of Washington. Libraries. Digital Initiatives
- Date of Original:
- Police brutality--Washington (State)--Seattle
Civil rights--Washington (State)--Seattle
Homeless persons--Washington (State)--Seattle
University District Movement
University District (Seattle, Wash.)
Police--Complaints against--Washington (State)--Seattle
- United States, Washington, King County, Seattle, 47.60621, -122.33207
- fliers (printed matter)
- Announces: "The University District Movement has, in the course of its examination of business and social conditions in the community, become increasingly aware of the deteriorating state of police-citizen relations... recently encountered evidence has forced UDM to seriously question local police procedures."
Calls for: End to police harassment, intimidation, and illegal searches in the University District.
Quote from document: "A typical affidavit reads: I was searched by officers [blank] and [blank] in the alley behind the Coffee Coral between 15 NE and University Way on 42nd NE, about the 25th of February. I did not consent to the search and was not asked if I consented or not. The officers also took me out of the Coffee Corral without reason or explanation. I was arrested, there was no warrant, and no charges were filed."
Background information: The University District Movement (UDM) was formed in 1967 as a reaction against police and local merchant harassment of "hippies" and racial minorities. (Crowley, Walt. Rites of Passage: A Memoir of the Sixties in Seattle. Seattle: University of Washington Press. pp. 65-67)
Note on date: 1972 is penciled on document, although this flyer was probably created closer to 1967.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Scanned from original text at 400 dpi in color, saved in JPEG format and resized to 600 ppi horizontal. Saved at compression rate 3. 2004.
35 x 21.5 cm
- Original Collection:
- Vietnam War Era Ephemera Collection, Box 6/6. University of Washington Libraries. Special Collections Division.
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Washington. Libraries. Special Collections Division