Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Vietnam War Era Ephemera Collection
- Free Huey! Support the Panthers! [page 1 of 2]
- Black Panthers
- Contributor to Resource:
- University of Washington. Libraries. Digital Initiatives
Black Student Union
Students for a Democratic Society
- Date of Original:
- Civil rights demonstrations--Washington (State)--Seattle
Black Panther Party
University of Washington
- Newton, Huey P.--Imprisonment
Cleaver, Eldridge, 1935-1998
Seale, Bobby, 1936-
- United States, Washington, King County, Seattle, 47.60621, -122.33207
- fliers (printed matter)
- Announces: HUB Ballroom, 12:30 PM, "the SDS guerilla theater group will present a skit about the Panthers and about Three Days in May." Followed by "Off the Pig," from Newsreel films, 12:45, HUB Ballroom.
Quote from document: "Malcolm X preceded Huey P. Newton like John the Baptist preceded Jesus Christ." (Bobby Seale quoting Eldridge Cleaver)
Sponsered by: Black Panther Party, BSU and UW SDS
Background information: "[Off the Pig] is one of the first films made about the Panthers. It contains interviews with Party leaders Huey Newton and Eldridge Cleaver describing why the Party was formed and what its goals are. It also includes footage of Panther recruitment, training and the Party's original 10 Point Program laid out by Chairman Bobby Seale. l968 - 20 minutes." (From the Newsreel film archives at http://www.newsreel.us)
Note on date: 1969 is penciled on document.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Scanned from original text at 400 dpi in color, saved in JPEG format and resized to 600 ppi horizontal. Saved at compression rate 3. 2003.
35 x 21.5 cm
- Original Collection:
- Vietnam War Era Ephemera Collection, Box 1/6. University of Washington Libraries. Special Collections Division
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Washington. Libraries. Special Collections Division