- Volunteer Voices
- Taking It Back
- Contributor to Resource:
- Thurlby (Illustrator)
- Date of Original:
Constitutional amendments--United States
Women in popular culture
- United States, Tennessee, Davidson County, 36.17069, -86.77753
- cartoons (humorous images)
- This political cartoon illustrates the constitutional controversy that ensued after the Tennessee legislature ratified the 19th Amendment. A teacher with a desk labeled "National Woman Suffrage" has her partially eaten apple, labeled "Ratification," stolen by a misbehaving boy from Tennessee, who exclaims, "I didn't give it to ya ta keep!" Behind the teacher, there is a Roll of Honor of the 36 states who had ratified the 19th Amendment on which number 36, Tennessee, is crossed out. Henry Romeike, Inc. of New York, NY provided this clipping to Carrie Chapman Catt.
This object was added to the Digital Preservation Network in November 2017.
- Metadata URL:
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Special Collections