- Volunteer Voices
- The Truth about the Negro Problem
- Date of Original:
African Americans—Legal status, laws, etc.
Hermitage Hotel (Nashville, Tenn.)
- United States, Tennessee, 35.75035, -86.25027
- broadsides (notices)
- This broadside, published by anti-suffrage forces in Nashville during the struggle for the ratification of the 19th Amendment, details racial reasons for their opposition to women`s suffrage. It claims that women`s suffrage must be defeated for the sake of Southern civilization, womanhood, and both the white and black races. It lauds the racial harmony of the South, and warns that giving women the right to vote will only spark political competition between the sexes and between the races. There is a detailed accounting of the population of southern states, broken down by race and sex, showing a white majority in all states except South Carolina and Mississippi. An enumerated list of facts purports that the 19th Amendment will create a Negro majority in South Carolina and Mississippi, where no such "real majority" exists now. The amendment will also create a Negro majority in over 200 counties in the South.
The University of Tennessee Libraries (Knoxville, Tennessee) is the digital publisher.
- Metadata URL:
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Special Collections