- Volunteer Voices
- Woman`s Protest Against Woman Suffrage
- Date of Original:
Constitutional amendments--United States--Ratification
Women--Legal status, laws, etc.
- United States, Tennessee, 35.75035, -86.25027
- This typed petition, stamped by the Tennessee Anti-Suffrage Association, enumerates the reasons for their opposition to women`s suffrage. Stating their resentment at having "Votes for Women" thrust upon them, they declare that the vote will draw women into the evil of politics and degrade their sex. They believe that women cannot effect any reform without the approval of men, and trust their fathers, brothers and sons to act in their best interest. They also claim that women are better protected in states without woman suffrage, and that giving women the franchise would increase taxation.
The University of Tennessee Libraries (Knoxville, Tennessee) is the digital publisher.
- Metadata URL:
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Special Collections