- Volunteer Voices
- Proclamation by Governor Brownlow on Limiting the Elective Franchise
- Date of Original:
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877)--Tennessee
Loyalty oaths--United States
Politics and Government
- Brownlow, William Gannaway, 1805-1877
- United States, Tennessee, 35.75035, -86.25027
- In this proclamation, Governor Brownlow calls upon county clerks and sheriffs to make a detailed report about the election of August 3, 1865. He calls on them to answer a series of questions on how the law to limit the elective franchise, excluding Confederate who had not taken the oath of allegiance to the United States. Brownlow states that counties which do not comply will be subject to an investigation, in order to ensure that the election is valid and legal.
The University of Tennessee Libraries (Knoxville, Tennessee) is the digital publisher.
- Metadata URL:
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Special Collections