- Volunteer Voices
- Democracy`s Hope: A Manual for Teaching Democracy in the Elementary Grades
- Date of Original:
- Teachers--Training of--Tennessee--Davidson County
Democracy--Study and teaching--United States
Segregation in education--Southern States
Evolution (Biology)--Religious aspects--Christianity
- United States, Tennessee, Davidson County, Nashville, 36.16589, -86.78444
- publications (documents)
- According to the foreward written by Superintendent W. A. Bass, "The public school is the cradle of American democracy. . . . This manual has been prepared by classroom teachers in the Nashville Public Schools as a guide to democratic living in the elementary grades." It contains lists of statements about how children should interact with their family, school, community, nation and world. There are classroom activities and suggestions for experiences with in different subject areas. Within the manual are numerous photographs of segregated classrooms.
The University of Tennessee Libraries (Knoxville, Tennessee) is the digital publisher.
- Metadata URL:
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Special Collections