- Volunteer Voices
- Friend in Marshall County, TN to unknown recipient
- Date of Original:
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877)--Tennessee
African Americans—Legal status, laws, etc.
Politics and Government
- Brownlow, William Gannaway, 1805-1877
- United States, Tennessee, Marshall County, 35.46886, -86.76502
United States, Tennessee, Marshall County, Lewisburg, 35.44924, -86.78889
- letters (correspondence)
- The writer tells of the dangers of extreme violence towards Unionists and African-American at this time in central Tennessee. He says that the laws must be enforced for the situation to change. The signs his name only as "friend" because he fears repercussions if it fell into the wrong hands.
The University of Tennessee Libraries (Knoxville, Tennessee) is the digital publisher.
- Metadata URL:
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Special Collections