- Volunteer Voices
- Petition for Emancipation of slave, Esea, 1820
- Date of Original:
- Slaves--Emancipation--United States
- United States, Tennessee, 35.75035, -86.25027
- This is a Petition for Emancipation made on November 20, 1820 that asks the County Court of Sumner County to free a slave of William Trigg (deceased), Esea because of the request in William Trigg`s Last Will and Testament for Esea`s freedom because of meritorious services rendered his master. In the court order granting freedom to Esea, Samuel K. Blythe was to put up $500 as security to indemnify the county of any incidental charge or expense that may be incurred by reason of the freeing of "said negro Esea."
The University of Tennessee Libraries (Knoxville, Tennessee) is the digital publisher.
- Metadata URL:
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Special Collections