- Oral History
- Oral history with the Honorable Mildred W. Norris, attorney, jurist, native Mississippian
- Caudill, Orley B
Norris, Mildred W. (Mildred Wells)
- University of Southern Mississippi. Center for Oral History and Cultural Heritage.
- Date of Original:
- Civil rights workers
Civil rights movement
- Norris, Mildred W. (Mildred Wells)--Interviews
- United States, Mississippi, 32.75041, -89.75036
- oral histories (literary works)
- Oral history.; Two interviews conducted on May 21, 1974 and January 26, 1976 with the Honorable Mildred Wells Norris.Norris was born in Ovett, Mississippi.She studied for one year at Mississippi State College for Women.Norris started working for two lawyers in Laurel, Mississippi. In 1947, she passed the Mississippi Bar Examination.Norris was appointed Judge of the Municipal Court of Hattiesburg in 1961 and was the first woman Police Judge in Mississippi.She has worked actively for the advancement of women; she was the first woman to serve on the Forrest County Industrial Development Board and also was appointed first chairman of the Mississippi Governor's Commission on Women.Governor Paul B. Johnson, Jr. appointed Norris to serve on the Governor's Commission on the Employment of the Handicapped.
Electronic version made available through a National Leadership Grant for Libraries from the Institute for Museum and Library Services.
This item is part of the Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- University Libraries provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. When possible, we have provided information regarding the copyright right status of an item; however, the information we have may not be accurate or complete. Obtaining permissions to publish or otherwise use is the sole responsibility of the user.
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Southern Mississippi. Center for Oral History and Cultural Heritage