- Oral History
- Oral history with Mr. Nathaniel H. Lewis, native Mississippian
- Healy, Thomas James, 1949-
Lewis, Nathaniel H.
- University of Southern Mississippi. Center for Oral History and Cultural Heritage.
- Date of Original:
- Civil rights workers
Civil rights movement
- Lewis, Nathaniel H.--Interviews
- United States, Mississippi, 32.75041, -89.75036
- oral histories (literary works)
- Oral history.; Interview conducted on October 24, 1978 with Mr. Nathaniel H. Lewis at his home in McComb, Mississippi.Lewis was born in McComb, Mississippi. In 1928, Lewis and his father organized the McComb Independent Lodge NO. 846 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks of the World.The purpose of this organization was to help African Americans register to vote.Lewis and his father called sixty African American veterans together in 1946 and organized the Pike County Voters League to help them register to vote.Lewis has also been active for a number of years in the Democratic Party of Mississippi.Governor Cliff Finch appointed him to the State Game and Fish Commission and for the first time in history, African Americans were appointed to be Colonels on the Governor's staff.
Electronic version made available through a National Leadership Grant for Libraries from the Institute for Museum and Library Services.
This item is part of the Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- University Libraries provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. When possible, we have provided information regarding the copyright right status of an item; however, the information we have may not be accurate or complete. Obtaining permissions to publish or otherwise use is the sole responsibility of the user.
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Southern Mississippi. Center for Oral History and Cultural Heritage