- Oral History
- Oral history with Mr. W.S. Griffin
- Griffin, W. S. (Wilbur Scott), 1913-
Healy, Thomas James, 1949-
- University of Southern Mississippi. Center for Oral History and Cultural Heritage.
- Date of Original:
- Civil rights workers
Civil rights movement
- Griffin, W. S. (Wilbur Scott), 1913- --Interviews
- United States, Mississippi, 32.75041, -89.75036
- oral histories (literary works)
- Oral history.; Interview conducted on July 19, 1978 with Mr. W.S. Griffin at his home in Jackson, Mississippi.Griffin was born on October 15, 1913 near Mantee, Mississippi, in Webster County. In 1936, he accepted a position as a teacher and coach at Woodland High School in Chickasaw County.While teaching at Woodland, Griffin continued his education at the University of Mississippi and in 1940 his received his BA degree.After returning from service in World War II, he began his master's degree program at the University of Mississippi. In 1949, Griffin became superintendent of the Springhill Consolidated School District.He then went on to join the Mississippi State Department of Education as director of the state's school lunch program in 1952. In 1958, he became director of the Division of Administration and Finance at the state department of education, and in 1974 he was appointed Assistant State Superintendent of Education.
Electronic version made available through a National Leadership Grant for Libraries from the Institute for Museum and Library Services.
This item is part of the Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- University Libraries provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. When possible, we have provided information regarding the copyright right status of an item; however, the information we have may not be accurate or complete. Obtaining permissions to publish or otherwise use is the sole responsibility of the user.
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Southern Mississippi. Center for Oral History and Cultural Heritage