- Oral History
- Oral history with Dr. William A. Butts
- Caudill, Orley B
Butts, William A., 1933-
- University of Southern Mississippi. Center for Oral History and Cultural Heritage.
- Date of Original:
- Civil rights workers
Civil rights movement
- Butts, William A., 1933- --Interviews
- United States, Mississippi, 32.75041, -89.75036
- oral histories (literary works)
- Oral history.; Interview conducted on March 3, 1976 with Dr. William A. Butts at his office on the campus of the University of Southern Mississippi.Butts was born in 1933 near Kilmichael, Mississippi.After graduating high school, he went on to complete two years of study at Mississippi Vocational College (now Mississippi Valley State University) in Itta Bena. In 1953, Butts joined the U.S. Army and after he completed his tour of duty he went on to earn his B.S. degree in political science in 1957.He received his Ph.D. from Southern Illinois University and went on to teach at Mississippi Valley State and Delta State University in Cleveland, Mississippi. In 1975, Butts was appointed president of Kentucky State University in Frankfort, Kentucky.
Electronic version made available through a National Leadership Grant for Libraries from the Institute for Museum and Library Services.
This item is part of the Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- University Libraries provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. When possible, we have provided information regarding the copyright right status of an item; however, the information we have may not be accurate or complete. Obtaining permissions to publish or otherwise use is the sole responsibility of the user.
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Southern Mississippi. Center for Oral History and Cultural Heritage