- Oral History
- Oral history with Mr. R. Jess Brown Audio
- Brown, R. Jess, 1912-1989
Burson, George S
- University of Southern Mississippi. Center for Oral History and Cultural Heritage.
- Date of Original:
- Civil rights workers
Civil rights movement
- Brown, R. Jess, 1912-1989--Interviews
- United States, Mississippi, 32.75041, -89.75036
- oral histories (literary works)
- Oral history.; Interview conducted on April 2, 1972 with Mr. R. Jess Brown in Jackson, Mississippi. Brown was born in Coffeeville, Kansas, on September 2, 1912, and was raised in Oklahoma. He received a Bachelor of Science degree from Illinois State Normal University and a Master of Science in Education degree from Indiana University. In 1946, Brown moved to Mississippi where he taught school for five years. After graduating from law school and passing the Bar, he began to practice law in 1954. Brown was quite active in the civil rights movement in the 1960s, particularly in providing legal counsel for civil rights workers and organizations. He discusses the objectives and problems of various civil rights legal defense organizations. He also describes the type and degree of intimidation and harassment that he has encountered and attempts to gauge the impact of the events of the 1960s upon local black citizens that were affected.
Electronic version made available through a National Leadership Grant for Libraries from the Institute for Museum and Library Services.
This item is part of the Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- University Libraries provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. When possible, we have provided information regarding the copyright right status of an item; however, the information we have may not be accurate or complete. Obtaining permissions to publish or otherwise use is the sole responsibility of the user.
- Original Collection:
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Southern Mississippi. Center for Oral History and Cultural Heritage