- Historical Manuscripts and Photographs
- Rebuilding the Tower of Babel; 1957
- Landry, Stuart O
- Date of Original:
- African Americans
Civil rights movement
Religion and social problems
- United States, 39.76, -98.5
- documents (object genre)
- From the McCain (William D.) Pamphlet Collection; In this pamphlet, Landry asserts that integrationists are trying to reunite the races that God separated in the Old Testament story of the Tower of Babel. He asserts that new anthropological and psychological theories of racial equality are pseudoscientific and backed by Communist interests. Landry cites some Old Testament quotations that he interprets as implying that segregation is ordered by God, and he asserts that race amalgamation will be lead to the downfall of Christianity. He also compares African Americans' social condition to that of Jews, Italians, Germans, and Irish in order to support his argument that African Americans' place at the bottom of the United States' social structure is a result of their lack of effort.
Electronic version made available through a National Leadership Grant for Libraries from the Institute for Museum and Library Services.
This item is part of the Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- University Libraries provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. When possible, we have provided information regarding the copyright right status of an item; however, the information we have may not be accurate or complete. Obtaining permissions to publish or otherwise use is the sole responsibility of the user.
- Original Collection:
- M393 McCain (William D.) Pamphlet Collection
Box 4, Folder 1
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Southern Mississippi. Libraries