- Historical Manuscripts and Photographs
- COFO press release : freedom vote tallies; November 4, 1964
- Council of Federated Organizations (U.S.)
- Date of Original:
- Civil rights demonstrations
Civil rights movement
Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party
- United States, Mississippi, 32.75041, -89.75036
- documents (object genre)
- From the Miller (Michael J.) Civil Rights Collection; This document records vote tallies for the 1964 "Freedom Vote" supported by the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party (MFDP)" The "Freedom Vote" was designed to demonstrate African American interest in voting in Mississippi despite voter registration obstacles in most counties. The document makes comparisons with vote tallies from the regular election and notes that MFDP candidates for the Senate and House of Representatives bested the regular candidates in the "Freedom Vote" It includes vote tallies for the Presidential race between Lyndon B. Johnson and Barry Goldwater also. It also interprets the "Freedom Vote" tallies in regard to the difference these votes would have made in the regular election if everyone had been allowed to vote.
Electronic version made available through a National Leadership Grant for Libraries from the Institute for Museum and Library Services.
This item is part of the Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- University Libraries provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. When possible, we have provided information regarding the copyright right status of an item; however, the information we have may not be accurate or complete. Obtaining permissions to publish or otherwise use is the sole responsibility of the user.
- Original Collection:
- M368 Miller (Michael J.) Civil Rights Collection
Box 3, Folder 9
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Southern Mississippi. Libraries