- Historical Manuscripts and Photographs
- Letter, Elinor Lerner to Kathy Dall [sic]; February 18, 1965
- Lerner, Elinor
- Date of Original:
- African Americans and libraries
Council of Federated Organizations (U.S.)
- United States, Mississippi, 32.75041, -89.75036
- documents (object genre)
- From the Dahl (Kathleen) Freedom Summer Collection. A typed letter from Elinor Lerner on the letterhead of COFO in Vicksburg, Mississippi, explains that teachers in Warren County, Mississippi, do not need a donation of used textbooks and that the library attached to the Freedom School in Vicksburg has a large enough quantity of used textbooks. Lerner mentions boycotts and the setting up of Freedom Schools in Sharkey and Issaquena Counties. She discusses after-school programs in development and the need for funds and help from community groups to convert unused building space into study and reading areas.
Electronic version made available through a National Leadership Grant for Libraries from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
This item is part of the Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- University Libraries provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. When possible, we have provided information regarding the copyright right status of an item; however, the information we have may not be accurate or complete. Obtaining permissions to publish or otherwise use is the sole responsibility of the user.
- Original Collection:
- M357 Dahl (Kathleen) Freedom Summer Collection
Box 1, Folder 10
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Southern Mississippi. Libraries