- Historical Manuscripts and Photographs
- Letter, P.D. East to friends; October 21, 1962
- East, Percy Dale
- Date of Original:
- United States, Mississippi, Forrest County, Hattiesburg, 31.32712, -89.29034
- documents (object genre)
- Copy of a typewritten letter, dated October 21, 1962, from P. D. (Percy Dale) East to several friends, in which East explains the difficult situation in which he finds himself in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Some members of the community have accused him of being responsible for the arrest of Circuit Clerk Theron Lynd, resulting in personal, financial, and legal problems for East. He also mentions Clyde Kennard, an African-American man who attempted to enroll at the University of Southern Mississippi in the late 1950s.
Electronic version made available through a National Leadership Grant for Libraries from the Institute for Museum and Library Services.
This item is part of the Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- University Libraries provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. When possible, we have provided information regarding the copyright right status of an item; however, the information we have may not be accurate or complete. Obtaining permissions to publish or otherwise use is the sole responsibility of the user.
- Original Collection:
- M324 East (P.D.) Collection
A finding aid for this collection is available online at: https://doi.org/10.18785/fa.M324
Box 2, Folder 12
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Southern Mississippi. Libraries