- Historical Manuscripts and Photographs
- Letter from Joseph and Nancy Ellin to Diane and Susan; [June 26, 1964]
- Ellin, Joseph
Ellin, Nancy B. (Nancy Bowles)
- Date of Original:
- Civil rights workers
Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (U.S.)
Mississippi Freedom Schools
- United States, Mississippi, Forrest County, Hattiesburg, 31.32712, -89.29034
- documents (object genre)
- Photocopy of a two-page typed letter with a handwritten postscript, dated Friday [June 26, 1964], from Joe Ellin to "Diane and Susan." The letter was written after approximately one week of Freedom Summer training in Oxford, Ohio. Joe describes his fellow volunteers and civil rights workers and some of their activities. He discusses the preparations he and Nancy must make before driving into Hattiesburg, Mississippi, and gives a bit of his preliminary knowledge of the area.
Electronic version made available through a National Leadership Grant for Libraries from the Institute for Museum and Library Services.
This item is part of the Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- University Libraries provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. When possible, we have provided information regarding the copyright right status of an item; however, the information we have may not be accurate or complete. Obtaining permissions to publish or otherwise use is the sole responsibility of the user.
- Original Collection:
- M323 Ellin (Joseph and Nancy) Freedom Summer Collection
Box 1, Folder 1
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Southern Mississippi. Libraries