- Historical Manuscripts and Photographs
- Letter, William J. Simmons to Erle Johnston, Jr.; November 18, 1987
- Simmons, William J., 1916-
- Date of Original:
- Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission
White Citizens councils
- United States, Mississippi, 32.75041, -89.75036
- documents (object genre)
- From the Johnston (Erle E., Jr.) Papers; Typewritten letter from William J. Simmons to Erle Johnston, Jr., dated November 18, 1987, in response to Johnston's request for information to be used in his book about Mississippi from 1953-1973. Topics discussed include integrated sporting events, the White Citizens council, the Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission, and issues related to the Sovereignty Commission during the administrations of Ross Barnett and J.P. Coleman. Also mentioned are the Voting Rights Act of 1968, the Reconstruction of the 1860s, and the New Reconstruction of the 1859s.
Electronic version made available through a National Leadership Grant for Libraries from the Institute for Museum and Library Services.
This item is part of the Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- University Libraries provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. When possible, we have provided information regarding the copyright right status of an item; however, the information we have may not be accurate or complete. Obtaining permissions to publish or otherwise use is the sole responsibility of the user.
- Original Collection:
- M319 Johnston (Erle E., Jr.) Papers
Box 2, Folder 9
- Contributing Institution:
- University of Southern Mississippi. Libraries