Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- WSB-TV Newsfilm Collection
- WSB-TV newsfilm clip of an African American man identified as Mr. Mitchell speaking about civil rights probably in Atlanta, Georgia, 1971
- WSB-TV (Television station : Atlanta, Ga.)
- Date of Original:
- African American men--Georgia--Atlanta
African Americans--Civil rights--Georgia--Atlanta
African Americans--Politics and government
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, 33.79025, -84.46702
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- moving images
- In this WSB newsfilm clip probably from 1971, an African American man, identified as Mr. Mitchell, speaks about progress in obtaining civil rights to a white female reporter. The clip begins with Mr. Mitchell who sits in an office with several plaques on the wall. A woman off-screen asks a question that is incompletely recorded. Mr. Mitchell declares that law and court decisions provide for nearly all of the rights African Americans have traditionally sought. According to Mitchell, protection against violence, fair housing legislation, school desegregation, access to public accommodations, equal access to federal funds, and fair employment legislation have been already addressed legally. Mitchell recognizes that even with the law supporting these rights the challenge is to ensure fair application. Mitchell reproaches the country for not living up to the "requirements of the law in the courts." He suggests that two continuing tasks in achieving civil rights are to "close any gaps and loop holes that there are in existing law and also to insist that the whole body of law be enforced in the country."
Part 2 of the clip shows the white female reporter who interviewed Mr. Mitchell.
Title supplied by cataloger.
- Local Identifier:
- Clip number: wsbn62309
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: wsbn62309, WSB-TV newsfilm clip of an African American man identified as Mr. Mitchell speaking about civil rights probably in Atlanta, Georgia, 1971, WSB-TV newsfilm collection, reel 1715, 00:00/01:59, Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection, The University of Georgia Libraries, Athens, Georgia
- 1 clip (about 1 mins., 59 secs.): color, sound ; 16 mm.
1 clip (about 30 secs.): color, sound ; 16 mm.
- Original Collection:
- Original found in the WSB-TV newsfilm collection.
- Contributing Institution:
- Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection