Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- WSB-TV Newsfilm Collection
- WSB-TV newsfilm clip of Marion King, interviewed after her beating by Camilla police, in her home in Albany, Georgia, 1962 July
- WSB-TV (Television station : Atlanta, Ga.)
- Contributor to Resource:
- Valeriani, Richard
King, Marion, 1931-1995
- Date of Original:
- African American civil rights workers--Georgia--Albany
Civil rights movements--Georgia--Albany
African Americans--Civil rights--Georgia
African American women--Georgia--Albany
Women--Health and hygiene--Georgia--Albany
Albany (Ga.)--Race relations--History--20th century
Albany (Ga.)--Politics and government--History--20th century
Camilla (Ga.)--Race relations--History--20th century
Prisoners--Health and hygiene--Georgia--Camilla
- King, Marion, 1932-2007--Interviews
- United States, Georgia, Dougherty County, Albany, 31.57851, -84.15574
United States, Georgia, Mitchell County, Camilla, 31.23129, -84.21046
- moving images
- In this WSB newsfilm clip from July 1962, a five-and-one-half months pregnant Marion King, wife of Slater King, speaks from her bed to WSB-TV reporter Richard Valeriani after her July 23rd beating at the hands of Camilla, Georgia police. In the clip, Marion King reports that while she was visiting Albany demonstrators, jailed in Camilla because of overcrowding at the jail in Albany, two Camilla police guards knocked her to the ground and beat her. At the time of the attack, she was holding one of her daughters while two of her other children looked on. She later lost her unborn baby as a result of the beating. Marion King notes that mattresses for the jailed protesters were being unloaded from a garbage truck at the time of her arrival at the jail and that many were sleeping on bedsprings. The clip ends with Valeriani recording interview questions so they can later be included in the news report.
Reporter: Valeriani, Richard
Title supplied by cataloger.
IMLS Grant, 2008.
Digibeta Center Cut (4 x 3) downconvert from HDD5 1080/23.98PsF film transfer.
Condition notes: 2009-03-01, Leader Replaced (Yancey)
- Local Identifier:
- Clip number: wsbn44817
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: wsbn44817, WSB-TV newsfilm clip of Marion King, interviewed after her beating by Camilla police, in her home in Albany, Georgia, 1962 July, WSB-TV newsfilm collection, reel 1046, 25:59/31:00, Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection, The University of Georgia Libraries, Athens, Georgia
- 1 clip (about 5 mins., 1 secs.): black-and-white, sound ; 16 mm.
- Original Collection:
- Original found in the WSB-TV newsfilm collection.
- Contributing Institution:
- Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection