Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- WSB-TV Newsfilm Collection
- WSB-TV newsfilm clip of African American student Charlayne Hunter and other white students walking around campus and a white man speaking to reporters and handing out cards at the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia, 1961 January 16
- WSB-TV (Television station : Atlanta, Ga.)
- Date of Original:
- College students--Georgia--Athens
African American college students--Georgia--Athens
Reporters and reporting--Georgia--Athens
Segregation in education--Georgia--Athens
College integration--Georgia--Athens--Press coverage
- Hunter-Gault, Charlayne
- United States, Georgia, Clarke County, Athens, 33.96095, -83.37794
- moving images
- In this silent WSB newsfilm clip from the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia on January 16, 1961, Charlayne Hunter, one of the first African American students at the university, walks around campus as do white students; an unidentified white man appears to speak to reporters and hand out cards. The clip begins with students walking on the University of Georgia campus. Charlayne Hunter walks up the steps next to Meigs Hall, and cameramen observe the scene. Next reporters and cameramen speak to an unidentified white man who is wearing a hat. He appears to speak and hand out business cards. Finally, students again walk around campus; some watch from the windows of a building, possibly Old College. A man leaving a building holds the door open for Hunter as she passes.
Charlayne Hunter and Hamilton Holmes first applied to the University of Georgia in the summer of 1959 but were denied based on lack of space according to the university. After several other unsuccessful applications, lawyers for the two students filed a federal lawsuit against the university. On January 6, 1961 federal judge William A. Bootle ordered the university to admit the students and to stop rejecting applicants solely based on race; Hunter and Holmes began attending classes at the University of Georgia on January 10, ending 176 years of segregation.
Title supplied by cataloger.
- Local Identifier:
- Clip number: wsbn43333
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: wsbn43333, WSB-TV newsfilm clip of African American student Charlayne Hunter and other white students walking around campus and a white man speaking to reporters and handing out cards at the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia, 1961 January 16, WSB-TV newsfilm collection, reel 0974, 1:43/03:32, Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection, The University of Georgia Libraries, Athens, Georgia
- 1 clip (about 1 mins., 49 secs.): black-and-white, silent ; 16 mm.
- Original Collection:
- Original found in the WSB-TV newsfilm collection.
- Contributing Institution:
- Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection