Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- WSB-TV Newsfilm Collection
- WSB-TV newsfilm clip of African American students Charlayne Hunter and Hamilton Holmes registering for classes at the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia, 1961 January 9
- WSB-TV (Television station : Atlanta, Ga.)
- Date of Original:
- College students--Georgia--Athens
African American college students--Georgia--Athens
Segregation in education--Georgia
African American lawyers--Georgia
- Holmes, Hamilton, 1941-
Ward, Horace T. (Horace Taliaferro), 1927-2016
- United States, Georgia, Clarke County, Athens, 33.96095, -83.37794
- moving images
- In this WSB newsfilm clip from the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia on January 9, 1961, Hamilton Holmes and Charlayne Hunter, the first two African American students to attend the university, register for classes. The clip begins with Hamilton Holmes sitting at a desk with an unidentified white man. Next, Holmes walks from a car with a white man. Holmes also crosses a street and walks up stairs with a white man and one of his lawyers, Horace T. Ward. Finally, Holmes and Charlayne Hunter are seen filling out forms.
Charlayne Hunter and Hamilton Holmes first applied to the University of Georgia in the summer of 1959 but were denied based on lack of space according to the university. After several other unsuccessful applications, lawyers for the two students filed a federal lawsuit against the university. On January 6, 1961 federal judge William A. Bootle ordered the university to admit the students and to stop rejecting applicants solely based on race; Hunter and Holmes began attending classes at the University of Georgia on January 11, ending 176 years of segregation.
Title supplied by cataloger.
- Local Identifier:
- Clip number: wsbn43223
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: wsbn43223, WSB-TV newsfilm clip of African American students Charlayne Hunter and Hamilton Holmes registering for classes at the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia, 1961 January 9, WSB-TV newsfilm collection, reel 0970, 18:09/19:22, Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection, The University of Georgia Libraries, Athens, Georgia
- 1 clip (about 1 mins., 13 secs.): black-and-white, sound ; 16 mm.
- Original Collection:
- Original found in the WSB-TV newsfilm collection.
- Contributing Institution:
- Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection