Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- WSB-TV Newsfilm Collection
- WSB-TV newsfilm clip of the Kappa Alpha Order fraternity at the University of Georgia flying the Confederate battle flag at half-mast following the university's court-ordered integration in Athens, Georgia, 1961 January 16
- WSB-TV (Television station : Atlanta, Ga.)
- Date of Original:
- College students--Georgia--Athens--Attitudes
Segregation in education--Georgia--Athens
African American college students--Georgia--Athens
Flags--Confederate States of America
Greek letter societies--Georgia--Athens
School integration--Massive resistance movement--Georgia
College integration--Georgia--Athens--Public opinion
- United States, Georgia, Clarke County, Athens, 33.96095, -83.37794
- moving images
- In this silent WSB newsfilm clip from Athens, Georgia on January 16, 1961, the Kappa Alpha Order fraternity at the University of Georgia flies the Confederate flag at half-mast in response to the university's court-ordered integration, and students walk on campus. Students walk around various sections of campus, including Meigs Hall, headquarters of the psychology department and location of one of Charlayne Hunter's classes. Two fraternity houses on Lumpkin Street in Athens are seen; the Kappa Alpha Order house flies the Confederate battle flag at half-mast.
The first two African American students at the University of Georgia, Charlayne Hunter and Hamilton Holmes, were admitted to the university by court-order on January 6, 1961. White students and citizens unhappy with the schools integration rioted outside Hunter's dorm building on January 11. The university suspended Hunter and Holmes "for their own safety," but federal judge William A. Bootle who had ordered the university's integration ordered the students readmitted. Hunter and Holmes returned to campus and to classes on January 16; in response to their return, the Kappa Alpha Order flew the Confederate battle flag at half-mast as they had done on January 9 when the two students first came to the university to register for classes.
Title supplied by cataloger.
- Local Identifier:
- Clip number: wsbn43222
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: wsbn43222, WSB-TV newsfilm clip of the Kappa Alpha Order fraternity at the University of Georgia flying the Confederate battle flag at half-mast following the university's court-ordered integration in Athens, Georgia, 1961 January 16, WSB-TV newsfilm collection, reel 0970, 16:52/18:07, Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection, The University of Georgia Libraries, Athens, Georgia
- 1 clip (about 1 mins., 15 secs.): black-and-white, silent ; 16 mm.
- Original Collection:
- Original found in the WSB-TV newsfilm collection.
- Contributing Institution:
- Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection