Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- WSB-TV Newsfilm Collection
- WSB-TV newsfilm clip of an unidentified white female civil rights worker describing the challenges she faces in rural southwest Georgia from Mt. Zion Baptist Church in Albany, Georgia, 1962 August 1
- WSB-TV (Television station : Atlanta, Ga.)
- Date of Original:
- Keep your eyes on the prize (Song)
Civil rights demonstrations--Georgia--Albany
Civil rights movements--Georgia--Albany
Civil rights workers--Georgia--Albany
Women civil rights workers--Violence against--Georgia
Albany (Ga.)--Race relations--History--20th century
- United States, Georgia, Dougherty County, Albany, 31.57851, -84.15574
- moving images
- In this WSB newsfilm clip, an unidentified white female civil rights worker speaks to a mass meeting at Mt. Zion Baptist Church, August 1, 1962, and describes the challenges she has faced in rural southwest Georgia near Albany. These include acts of harassment and retaliation, such as disconnecting her phone and destroying her borrowed car. She also mentions that local African Americans were intimidated by the sheriff, and that black farmers were threatened with eviction by white landowners for associating with civil rights workers. Also included are scenes of a group of protesters praying outside and being led into City Hall by police officers, as well as the participants of a mass meeting, possibly at Shiloh Baptist Church, singing the freedom song, "Keep Your Eyes on the Prize."
Title supplied by cataloger.
IMLS Grant, 2008.
Digibeta Center Cut (4 x 3) downconvert from HDD5 1080/23.98PsF film transfer. WSB comp reel 1.
- Local Identifier:
- Clip number: wsbn36242
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: wsbn36242, WSB-TV newsfilm clip of an unidentified white female civil rights worker describing the challenges she faces in rural southwest Georgia from Mt. Zion Baptist Church in Albany, Georgia, 1962 August 1, WSB-TV newsfilm collection, reel 0799, 53:28/55:16, Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection, The University of Georgia Libraries, Athens, Georgia
- 1 clip (about 1 mins., 48 secs.): black-and-white, sound ; 16 mm.
- Original Collection:
- Original found in the WSB-TV newsfilm collection.
- Contributing Institution:
- Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection