Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- WSB-TV Newsfilm Collection
- WSB-TV newsfilm clip of former heavyweight boxing champion Floyd Patterson speaking to a reporter about the civil rights movement in Birmingham, Alabama, 1963 May 9
- WSB-TV (Television station : Atlanta, Ga.)
- Contributor to Resource:
- Patterson, Floyd
- Date of Original:
- African American boxers--Alabama--Birmingham
African American civil rights workers--Alabama--Birmingham
Civil rights demonstrations--Alabama--Birmingham
Project C, Birmingham, Ala., 1963
- Patterson, Floyd
Robinson, Jackie, 1919-1972
- United States, Alabama, Jefferson County, Birmingham, 33.52066, -86.80249
- moving images
- In this WSB newsfilm clip from May 9, 1963, Floyd Patterson, former heavyweight boxing champion, speaks to a reporter about supporting the Civil Rights movement in Birmingham, Alabama. Patterson explains that after learning about the civil rights demonstrators in Birmingham, he wanted to do something to support the movement. After learning that his friend, former baseball player Jackie Robinson was going to Birmingham, Patterson decided to join him. Patterson confirms his plans to demonstrate, to be arrested, and to go to jail if necessary, while he is in the city. When asked about the possibility of police turning hoses or dogs on him, Patterson responds that he thinks he is prepared for the prospect of police brutality, but doesn't believe he'll be able to stand by if bitten by a dog; he notes that he admires the strength of Southerners who have managed to passively resist fire hoses and dogs. Patterson and Robinson arrived in Birmingham on May 13, after negotiations ended demonstrations. While in Birmingham, they spoke to a mass meeting of two thousand people in the Sixth Avenue Baptist Church, encouraging the audience to not give up in the struggle for civil rights.
Title supplied by cataloger.
- Local Identifier:
- Clip number: wsbn35383
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: wsbn35383, WSB-TV newsfilm clip of former heavyweight boxing champion Floyd Patterson speaking to a reporter about the civil rights movement in Birmingham, Alabama, 1963 May 9, WSB-TV newsfilm collection, reel 0785, 24:16/25:19, Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection, The University of Georgia Libraries, Athens, Georgia
- 1 clip (about 1 mins., 3 secs.): black-and-white, sound ; 16 mm.
- Original Collection:
- Original found in the WSB-TV newsfilm collection.
- Contributing Institution:
- Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection