Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- WSB-TV Newsfilm Collection
- WSB-TV newsfilm clip of African American women arrested for picketing in Albany, Georgia, 1962
- WSB-TV (Television station : Atlanta, Ga.)
- Date of Original:
- African American civil rights workers--Georgia--Albany
African American women--Georgia--Albany
African Americans--Civil rights--Georgia--Albany
Civil rights demonstrations--Georgia--Albany
Civil rights movements--Georgia--Albany
Reporters and reporting--Georgia--Albany
Civil rights workers--Georgia--Albany
Assembly, Right of--Georgia--Albany
Freedom of speech--Georgia--Albany
Albany (Ga.)--Politics and government--History--20th century
Albany (Ga.)--Race relations--History--20th century
- Pritchett, Laurie, 1926-2000
- United States, Georgia, Dougherty County, Albany, 31.57851, -84.15574
- moving images
- In this silent WSB newsfilm clip from 1962, African American women in Albany, Georgia, are arrested for picketing in front of Albany City Hall and nearby Lane Drugs. The clip begins with African American women marching in front of city hall in with signs whose slogans include: "Freedom to speak--enforce the 1st amendment," "Freedom of speech for Negroes too?" and "Freedom to pray, speak, assemble, picket, NOW!" White reporters and bystanders observe the protesters; Albany police chief Laurie Pritchett directs the women towards the building while another officer seizes their signs. The women enter city hall followed by Pritchett, the officer, and another man who has been taking notes. Finally, two women are seen in front of Lane Drugs with signs that read "Shop in dignity" and "Segregation sold here." The clip ends with police directing women into a paddy wagon and locking the doors.
Civil rights demonstrators in Albany were often arrested for offenses such as failure to obey an officer, disorderly conduct, blocking the sidewalk, and obstructing traffic.
Title supplied by cataloger.
IMLS Grant, 2008.
Digibeta Center Cut (4 x 3) downconvert from HDD5 1080/23.98PsF film transfer. WSB comp reel 1.
- Local Identifier:
- Clip number: wsbn34673
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: wsbn34673, WSB-TV newsfilm clip of African American women arrested for picketing in Albany, Georgia, 1962, WSB-TV newsfilm collection, reel 0769, 20:42/21:27, Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection, The University of Georgia Libraries, Athens, Georgia
- 1 clip (about 45 secs.): black-and-white, silent ; 16 mm.
- Original Collection:
- Original found in the WSB-TV newsfilm collection.
- Contributing Institution:
- Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection