Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- WALB Newsfilm
- WALB newsfilm clip of policemen monitoring the lunch counter integration attempts of several African Americans in Albany, Georgia, 1962
- WALB (Television station : Albany, Ga.)
- Date of Original:
- African American civil rights workers--Georgia--Albany
African American students--Georgia--Albany
African American women--Georgia--Albany
African Americans--Politics and government
Civil rights demonstrations--Georgia--Albany
Civil rights movements--Georgia--Albany
Civil rights workers--Georgia--Albany
African Americans--Civil rights--Georgia--Albany
Central business districts--Georgia--Albany
Albany (Ga.)--Politics and government--History--20th century
Albany (Ga.)--Race relations--History--20th century
Albany Movement (Albany, Ga.)
- United States, Georgia, Dougherty County, Albany, 31.57851, -84.15574
- In this silent WSB newsfilm clip from the summer of 1962, two Albany, Georgia, policemen in downtown Albany monitor the lunch counter integration efforts of several African Americans. The clip begins with two policemen in blue uniforms following three African American women as they walk through town. Three other black women follow behind. Later, a young man and two women walk between two different officers, followed by other African Americans and more police. Next, white customers at a lunch counter watch as African American women seat themselves at the same counter. Three policemen stand behind the African American women; an officer appears to speak to one of them. Finally, the women get up and head to the door while police follow and store customers watch. Outside, the police again follow the three women walking down the street. The Albany Movement, an organization created from the civil rights efforts of several clubs in town, directed many of the civil rights demonstrations in Albany, Georgia. Their tactics included kneel-ins, marches, and tests of segregated facilities.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for digital conversion and description of the WALB News Film collection.
Title provided by cataloger.
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: WALB newsfilm clip of policemen monitoring the lunch counter integration attempts of several African Americans in Albany, Georgia, 1962, Albany Movement compilation, WALB News Film collection, Albany Movement Compilation Roll 3 [Tape 2], Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Award Collection, The University of Georgia Libraries, Athens, Ga., as presented in the Digital Library of Georgia.
- 1 clip (ca. 50 sec.) : b&w, si. ; 16 mm.
- Original Collection:
- Original found in the WALB newsfilm collection.
- Contributing Institution:
- Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection