- Nashville Public Library Digital Collections Portal: Civil Rights
- Photograph of defense attorneys for student demonstrators, Nashville, Tennessee, 1960 March 02
- Cooley, Vic
- Date of Original:
- Davidson County Courthouse (Nashville, Tenn.)
African Americans--Civil rights--Tennessee--Nashville
African Americans--Social conditions
Civil rights movements--Tennessee--Nashville
Central business districts--Tennessee--Nashville
Civil rights workers--Tennessee--Nashville
Actions and defenses--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Social conditions
Nashville (Tenn.)--Race relations
Nashville (Tenn.)--Social life and customs
- Birch, Adolpho A., 1932-
Lillard, Robert Emmitt, 1907-1991
Williams, Avon N., 1921-1994
Ennix, Coyness L., 1898-1984
- United States, Tennessee, Davidson County, Nashville, 36.16589, -86.78444
- black-and-white photographs
- A photograph of lead defense attorneys for student demonstrators, Davidson County Courthouse, Nashville, Tennessee, March 2, 1960. Attorney Robert E. Lillard gestures in his defense of the students on trial for their part in the sit-in demonstrations in downtown stores and lunch counters. Pictured left to right (front row): Adolpho A. Birch, Robert E. Lillard, Coyness L. Ennix, Sr., and Avon Williams, Jr. Along with attorney Z. Alexander Looby, these attorneys were the spearheads of the defense for the student demonstrators. Forms part of the Nashville Banner Archives.
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- 1 photograph : b&w; 8 x 10 in.
- Original Collection:
- Nashville Banner Archives, Special Collections Division, Nashville Public Library.
- Contributing Institution:
- Nashville Public Library (Tenn.). Special Collections Division