- Nashville Public Library Digital Collections Portal: Civil Rights
- Photograph of demonstrators, led by Reverend James Luther Bevel, Greyhound Bus Terminal, Nashville, Tennessee, 1960 March 03
- Cooley, Vic
- Date of Original:
- Post House Restaurant (Nashville, Tenn.)
Greyhound Bus Terminal (Nashville, Tenn.)
Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (U.S.)
African Americans--Civil rights--Tennessee--Nashville
Civil rights movements--Tennessee--Nashville--History--Sources
Civil rights workers--Tennessee--Nashville
Interstate commerce--Law and legislation--United States--History--Sources
Nashville (Tenn.)--Social conditions
Nashville (Tenn.)--Race relations
Southern States--Race relations--History--20th century--Sources
Sixth Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
Commerce Street (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Bevel, James L. (James Luther), 1936-2008
- United States, Tennessee, Davidson County, Nashville, 36.16589, -86.78444
- black-and-white photographs
- A photograph of student demonstrators, in front of the previously segregated Post House Restaurant located inside the Greyhound Bus Terminal, 6th Avenue and Commerce Street, Nashville, Tennessee, March 3, 1960. Led by Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee member James Bevel, the demonstrators challenged the restaurant with what would be known as the Interstate Commerce Commission ruling to desegregate all eating facilities in rail, air, and bus terminals.
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- 1 photograph negative : b&w ; 35 mm.
- Original Collection:
- Nashville Banner Archives, Special Collections Division, Nashville Public Library.
- Contributing Institution:
- Nashville Public Library (Tenn.). Special Collections Division