Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Rev. Joseph A. DeLaine Papers ca. 1918-2000
- Photograph, 1951 June 17, (Summerton, S.C.), Plaintiffs in the Clarendon County School Segregation Case
- Date of Original:
- Trials--South Carolina--Clarendon County
African American civil rights workers--South Carolina--Clarendon County
Civil rights workers--South Carolina--Clarendon County
African Americans--South Carolina--Clarendon County
African Americans--Civil rights--South Carolina--Clarendon County
Civil rights movements--South Carolina--Clarendon County
African American churches--South Carolina--Clarendon County
Clarendon County (S.C.)--Race relations--History--20th century
African Americans--Segregation--South Carolina--Clarendon County
Segregation in education--South Carolina--Clarendon County
Segregation--South Carolina--Clarendon County
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
African Americans--Education--South Carolina--Clarendon County
Parents' Committee on Action (Clarendon County, S.C.)
- De Laine, Joseph A. (Joseph Armstrong), 1898-1974
- United States, South Carolina, Clarendon County, 33.66581, -80.2164
- black-and-white photographs
- Black-and-white photograph of plaintiffs in the Clarendon County, South Carolina, school segregation case, also known as Briggs v. Elliott, at Liberty Hill African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church in Summerton, South Carolina on June 17, 1951. Also pictured are state and local officials in the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and members of the Parents' Committee on Action.
"On the opposite side is a picture of the Plaintiffs in the Famous Clarendon County School Segregation Case. This pictire [sic] was taken in the Liberty Hill A.M.E. Church June 17, 1951. The Plaintiffs, workers and State NAACP Officials are on this Picture. The Parent Organization and the Local NAACP Officers are included. J.A. DeLaine"--verso photograph.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Original Collection:
- Legal size - 13439 - (Folder 28), Joseph Armstrong DeLaine papers, ca. 1918-2000, South Caroliniana Library, University of South Carolina, Columbus, South Carolina.
- Contributing Institution:
- South Caroliniana Library