Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Rev. Joseph A. DeLaine Papers ca. 1918-2000
- Letter, 1956 May 21, (Manning, S.C.), Billie S. Fleming, to Joseph A. DeLaine, Sr., [New York, N.Y.]
- Fleming, Billie S.
- Date of Original:
- Undertakers and undertaking--South Carolina--Manning
African Americans--South Carolina--Clarendon County
African Americans--Civil rights--South Carolina--Clarendon County
Civil rights movements--South Carolina--Clarendon County
African American civil rights workers--South Carolina--Clarendon County
Civil rights workers--South Carolina--Clarendon County
Civil rights--South Carolina--Clarendon County
African American clergy--New York (State)--New York
Clergy--New York (State)--New York
DeLaine, Joseph A. (Joseph Armstrong), 1898-1974--Correspondence
Fleming, Billie S.--Correspondence
- Fleming, Billie S.
De Laine, Joseph A. (Joseph Armstrong), 1898-1974
- United States, New York, New York County, New York, 40.7142691, -74.0059729
United States, South Carolina, Clarendon County, 33.66581, -80.2164
United States, South Carolina, Clarendon County, Manning, 33.69516, -80.21091
- letters (correspondence)
- Letter from Billie S. Fleming of Fleming and DeLaine Funeral Home in Manning, South Carolina, to Joseph A. DeLaine, Sr., of New York, New York, regarding unjust distribution of funds intended to assist those in need. Fleming mentions that Charlie Lemon, Levi Pearson, and Gilbert Henry are similarly concerned and offers to work out a system to distribute funds first to those who signed a petition against segregated education in Clarendon County, and then to members of the local branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). Fleming feels that church membership should not be considered when distributing funds and urges assistance based on need and not friendship.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Original Collection:
- Legal size - 13439 - (Folder 10), Joseph Armstrong DeLaine papers, ca. 1918-2000, South Caroliniana Library, University of South Carolina, Columbus, South Carolina.
- Contributing Institution:
- South Caroliniana Library