Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Rev. Joseph A. DeLaine Papers ca. 1918-2000
- Minutes, 1949 June 8, (Summerton, S.C.) 1949 Senior Class and Parent's meeting, E.E. Richburg
- Richburg, E. E.
- Date of Original:
- African American high school students--South Carolina--Summerton
African American parents--South Carolina--Summerton
African American clergy--South Carolina--Summerton
Silver School (Clarendon County, S.C.)
Parents' Committee on Action (Clarendon County, S.C.)
African American school principals--South Carolina--Summerton
School boards--South Carolina--Summerton
African Methodist Episcopal Church--Clergy
African Methodist Episcopal Church
Clarendon County (S.C.)--Race relations--History--20th century
- Richburg, E. E.
De Laine, Joseph A. (Joseph Armstrong), 1898-1974
Benson, S. Isaiah
- United States, South Carolina, Clarendon County, 33.66581, -80.2164
United States, South Carolina, Clarendon County, Summerton, 33.60822, -80.3512
- Minutes of the 1949 Senior Class and Parents' Group meeting in Summerton, South Carolina, recorded by secretary E. E. Richburg, pastor of Liberty Hill African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church. The minutes details the inception of the Parents' Committee on Action with Joseph A. DeLaine as chairman, and lists charges against principal S. Isaiah Benson, including misappropriation of funds and neglect of teaching duties. They also record DeLaine's caution that if the school trustees refuse to consider the grievances, it may be necessary to appeal to the county or state boards of education. Two days after submitting the list of grievances, District 22 school trustees informed DeLaine that he would not be rehired to teach in Silver, Clarendon County.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Original Collection:
- Legal size - 9625 - (Folder 3), Joseph Armstrong DeLaine papers, ca. 1918-2000, South Caroliniana Library, University of South Carolina, Columbus, South Carolina.
- Contributing Institution:
- South Caroliniana Library