Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Isaiah DeQuincey Newman, (1911-1985), Papers, 1929-2003
- Speech, January 15, 1979, Address on the occasion of the birthday celebration of Martin Luther King, Jr., Shaw Air Force Base
- Newman, I. DeQuincey (Isaiah DeQuincey), 1911-1985
- Date of Original:
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968--Birth
King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968--Anniversaries, etc.
African Americans--Civil rights--United States
African Americans--Social conditions--To 1964
African Americans--Segregation--United States
Civil rights workers--United States
African American civil rights workers--United States
African Americans--Education--United States
African Americans--Suffrage--United States
Discrimination in employment--United States
Discrimination in public accommodations--United States
- King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968
Carruth, William Herbert, 1859-1924
Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963
Carter, Jimmy, 1924-
- United States, South Carolina, 34.00043, -81.00009
- Seven pages of a typewritten speech with handwritten notes dated January 15, 1979 that commemorates the achievements of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. on the anniversary of his birth. The speech begins with an excerpt from a poem by William Herbert Carruth, heralds the achivements of King, and pledges thanks for his civil rights work. The speech proposes the expression of gratitude to King by helping the poor, voting for political candidates that prove sensitive to the needs of all Americans, and securing the growth of quality education and fair employment for all. The speech ends with a list of ways in which African Americans were discriminated against prior to the Civil Rights Movement.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Local Identifier:
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Rights Holder:
- Digital image copyright 2008, The University of South Carolina. All rights reserved. For more information contact South Carolina Political Collections, USC, Columbia, SC 29208.
- Original Collection:
- Folder: Newman, Speeches, 1957-1984 & n.d., Isaiah DeQuincey Newman Papers, South Carolina Political Collections, The University of South Carolina Libraries
- Contributing Institution:
- University of South Carolina. South Carolina Political Collections