Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Isaiah DeQuincey Newman, (1911-1985), Papers, 1929-2003
- Sermon, September 5, 1976, "Maintaining Spiritual Discipline"
- Newman, I. DeQuincey (Isaiah DeQuincey), 1911-1985
- Date of Original:
- Newman, I. DeQuincey (Isaiah DeQuincey), 1911-1985--Sermons
Sermons, American--20th century
Sermons, American--African American authors
Bible--Liturgical use--20th century
Bible. Corinthians, 2nd
- United States, South Carolina, 34.00043, -81.00009
- Two pages of a handwritten sermon dated September 5, 1976 and titled "Maintaining Spiritual Discipline" that begins with a passage from the Biblical text 2 Corinthians 5:14, and emphasizes the importance of exercising discipline in upholding the values of Jesus Christ by living quietly, by reading, and by praying. The sermon ends with an excerpt from the hymn "I Was A Wandering Sheep" by Horatius Bonar, which describes the salvation of a person who left and then returned to Christian faith.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Local Identifier:
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Rights Holder:
- Digital image copyright 2008, The University of South Carolina. All rights reserved. For more information contact South Carolina Political Collections, USC, Columbia, SC 29208.
- Original Collection:
- Folder: Newman, Sermons, 1969-1979, Isaiah DeQuincey Newman Papers, South Carolina Political Collections, The University of South Carolina Libraries
- Contributing Institution:
- University of South Carolina. South Carolina Political Collections