Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Isaiah DeQuincey Newman, (1911-1985), Papers, 1929-2003
- Sermon, May 28, 1944, Memorial Sunday, "Heroes of Faith"
- Newman, I. DeQuincey (Isaiah DeQuincey), 1911-1985
- Date of Original:
- Newman, I. DeQuincey (Isaiah DeQuincey), 1911-1985--Sermons
Sermons, American--20th century
Sermons, American--African American authors
Bible--Liturgical use--20th century
Memorial Day sermons--South Carolina
African Americans--Civil rights--South Carolina
United States--Armed Forces--African Americans
World War, 1939-1945--Casualties
- United States, South Carolina, 34.00043, -81.00009
- One page of a typewritten sermon dated May 28, 1944. The sermon, delivered in honor of Memorial Day, begins with a passage from the Biblical text Hebrews 11:13, and describes sacrifices made in faith by people who did not live to see the benefits of their efforts. The sermon refers to the casualties of African American soldiers in World War II, and emphasizes that their sacrifices should inspire other African Americans to achieve the benefits of full citizenship.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Local Identifier:
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Rights Holder:
- Digital image copyright 2008, The University of South Carolina. All rights reserved. For more information contact South Carolina Political Collections, USC, Columbia, SC 29208.
- Original Collection:
- Folder: Newman, Sermons, 1940-1949, Isaiah DeQuincey Newman Papers, South Carolina Political Collections, The University of South Carolina Libraries
- Contributing Institution:
- University of South Carolina. South Carolina Political Collections