- The State Newspaper Photograph Archive
- Civil rights demonstration at the Carolina Theater
- The State Media Company (Columbia, S.C.)
- Date of Original:
- Columbia (S.C.). Police Dept.
Civil rights movements
Reporters and reporting
- United States, South Carolina, Richland County, 34.0218, -80.90304
United States, South Carolina, Richland County, Columbia, 34.00071, -81.03481
- black-and-white photographs
- A Columbia police officer intervenes during a civil rights protest at the Carolina Theater while a reporter takes notes. Student activists, organized by the Youth Movement of the NAACP, are protesting segregated movie theaters. Twenty-three students were arrested following the day's events.
1223 Main Street, Columbia, S.C.
- Local Identifier:
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- Copyright The State Media Company. All rights reserved. For more information, contact the Walker Local and Family History Center at Richland Library, Columbia, S.C. 29201.
- Original Collection:
- Box 267, Negro Demonstrations, trying to get into movie houses and parading down Main Street, The State Newspaper Photograph Archive
- Contributing Institution:
- Richland Library