Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- The State Newspaper Photograph Archive
- Mrs. Alexander walking her sons to school
- Roberts, Maxie
The State Media Company (Columbia, S.C.)
- Columbia, S.C. : Richland Library
- Date of Original:
- School integration
- United States, South Carolina, Charleston County, 32.74917, -79.94202
United States, South Carolina, Charleston County, Charleston, 32.77657, -79.93092
- images (object genre)
- Mrs. Mary Alexander escorts her sons Clarence, 12, and Eddie, 14, to Charleston High School on the first day of the 1963-64 school year. One of a series of images showing the first day of school in Charleston where 11 Black students will be attending formerly all-white public schools in the city.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Additional Rights Information:
- Copyright © The State Media Company. All rights reserved. For more information, contact the Walker Local and Family History Center at Richland Library, Columbia, S.C. 29201.
- Original Collection:
- Box 267, Charleston S.C., integration of schools, Sep. 2-3, 1963, canister
The State Newspaper Photograph Archive
- Contributing Institution:
- Richland Library