- Heroes of the Civil Rights Movement
- Fred Lee Shuttlesworth
- Montgomery County (Ala.). Sheriff's Dept.
- Date of Original:
- African American civil rights workers--Alabama--Montgomery
Civil rights movements--Alabama--Montgomery
Segregation in transportation--Alabama--Montgomery
Civil rights demonstrations--Alabama--Montgomery
Freedom Rides, 1961
African American clergy
- Shuttlesworth, Fred L., 1922-2011
- United States, Alabama, Montgomery County, 32.22026, -86.20761
United States, Alabama, Montgomery County, Montgomery, 32.36681, -86.29997
- identification photographs
- Mug shot of Fred Shuttlesworth taken after his arrest on May 25, 1961. On May 24, a group of seven Freedom Riders traveled from Atlanta to Montgomery. The next day, before boarding the bus to Jackson, Mississippi, the seven riders and three local leaders were arrested when they requested service at the bus station lunch counter that had been desegregated the day before. Shuttlesworth's arrest number is 11941.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Metadata URL:
- Original Collection:
- Montgomery County Sheriff's Office Record Group, Montgomery County Archives, Courthouse Annex III, Montgomery, Alabama
- Contributing Institution:
- Montgomery County (Ala.). Archives