- Oral Histories of the American South: The Civil Rights Movement
- Oral history interview with Robert Logan, December 28, 1990
- Logan, Robert L.
- Contributor to Resource:
- Wells, Goldie F. (Goldie Frinks)
Southern Oral History Program
- Date of Original:
- African American school principals--North Carolina--Burlington
School principals--North Carolina
Hugh M. Cummings High School (Burlington, N.C.)
High schools--North Carolina--Burlington--Administration
Education, Secondary--North Carolina--Burlington
African Americans--Education (Secondary)--North Carolina--Burlington
Race relations in school management--North Carolina--Burlington
- Logan, Robert L.
- United States, North Carolina, Alamance County, 36.04407, -79.39951
United States, North Carolina, Alamance County, Burlington, 36.09569, -79.4378
oral histories (literary works)
- At the time of this interview, Robert Logan was the principal of Hugh M. Cummings High School in Burlington, North Carolina. He responds to the interviewer's checklist of questions, describing his practices as a supervisor, his involvement in instruction, disciplinary practices, transportation, and building upkeep. Logan also manages to share more of his views on race and education than do other interviewees in this series. He reflects on the unkept promises of desegregation, and what he experiences as the steady decline of opportunities for black administrators and the rise in racism since a brief period of balance. He received job offers only at schools in crisis as his white counterparts took prestigious positions. This interview offers some insights into the role of race in modern education and the way in which huge issues like race and desegregation mesh with smaller ones, like administrative problems, to create frustrating challenges for educators.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Metadata URL:
- Title from menu page (viewed on December 16, 2008).
Interview participants: Robert Logan, interviewee; Goldie F. Wells, interviewer.
This electronic edition is part of the UNC-Chapel Hill digital library, Documenting the American South. It is a part of the collection Oral histories of the American South.
Text encoded by Jennifer Joyner. Sound recordings digitized by Aaron Smithers.
- Contributing Institution:
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Documenting the American South (Project)