- New Georgia Encyclopedia
- Jessie Daniel Ames
- Date of Original:
Civil rights workers--Georgia--Atlanta
Women civil rights workers--Georgia--Atlanta
Women political activists--Georgia--Atlanta
Association of Southern Women for the Prevention of Lynching
- Ames, Jessie Daniel, 1883-1972
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- black-and-white photographs
- Before founding the Association of Southern Women for the Prevention of Lynching (ASWPL), Jessie Ames was president of the Texas League of Women Voters and director of women's work for Atlanta's Commission on Interracial Cooperation. As part of her work with the ASWPL, Ames formed alliances with Jewish women's groups, the Young Women's Christian Association, and the Parent-Teacher Association.
Photograph of suffragist and civil rights activist Jessie Daniel Ames. She wears a white dress and faces right.
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- Courtesy of Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, FP E.4 D #9
- Additional Rights Information:
- Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
- Original Collection:
Forms part of: New Georgia Encyclopedia
- Contributing Institution:
- New Georgia Encyclopedia (Project)